Home Islam WebCast Forum Articles MultiMedia eCards

Islamic Library Quran Hadith Bible

Be notified of: Free Islamic GIFTS ! Islamic Competitions ! Special Islamic Promotions ! New Videos/Books/Articles/Etc And Much Much More !

Forum Conduct GuidelinesConduct Guidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Profiles Of Islamic Mentors

Free gift for all new members. Register/log in to receive your free gift

What is the ruling of birthday celebration in Islam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhida

Muslim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: What is the ruling of birthday celebration in Islam? Reply with quote

Assalamu alaykum my Dear Sisters & Brothers in Islam,

Kindly please your advice on the ruling of birthday celebration in Islam, are we allowed to attend the invitation for birthday celebration.
is there any dalil (Quran or Hadith) about this matter?

jazakumullahu khair.
BarakAllahu fikum.

Salam,
Muhammad Sayeed

Muslim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us are unaware of the origins of birthdays. How did it all start, where did it start, etc. This article shall display what non-Muslim sources inform us about the origins of birthdays & the Islamic position in brief.

{The tradition of birthday parties started in Europe a long time ago. It was feared that evil spirits were particularly attracted to people on their birthdays. To protect them from harm, friends and family would come to be with the birthday person and bring good thoughts and wished. Giving gifts brought even more good cheer to ward off the evil spirit. This is how birthday parties began.} [Sarno, Et Al - Reading Wonders 5' 2006 Ed. - Rex Bookstore, Inc - Pg. 237]

{The reasons why we have birthday parties goes back to when people believed that good and evil spirits appeared when a child was born and influenced that child for life. These people also believed that it was dangerous for a person to have a change in his or her life. This led people to believe that birthdays were filled with danger since each year marked a change in a person's life.} [Ibid - Pg. 238]

{Once upon a time only kings and queens had birthday parties, but, with the advent of the calendar, parties became commonplace. Early birthday parties were raucous affairs intended to drive away evil spirits.} [Happy Birthday to You! - Ariel Books, 2005 - Pg. 54]

{The birth of the birthday cake dates back to the ancient Greeks. It was their custom to present round honey cakes to Artemis, their goddess of the moon - and childbirth.} [Ibid - Pg. 59]

{It is said that the earliest birthday parties were conducted because of belief that evil spirits visit on one's birthday. The gathering of friends and family, along with the lighting of candles, represent methods of protection from the threat posed by these evil forced.} [Linda S. Watts - Encyclopedia Of American Folklore - Infobase Publishing, 2007 - Pg.40]

{The tradition of birthday parties began in Europe. People feared evil spirits were attracted to people on their birthdays. For protection, their friends and family would come over, bringing good wishes and presents to ward off the evil spirits.} [Lisa Thompson - Cordially Invited: Have You Got What It Takes to Be an Event Planner? - Compass Point Books, 2008 - Pg. 14]

{The reason we have a cake with candles is also not known for sure. Some people think it's because a long time ago, in Greece, people used to make a round (or moon-shaped) cake for the goddess of the moon, and light candles and torches to send her messages, wishes or prayers. This might be how we started the tradition of having cakes and blowing out the candles to make a wish.} [R.I.C. Publications - Comprehending Our World - R.I.C. Publications, 2008 - Pg. 49]

{The obvious question is this: what is the origin of birthdays? Birthdays were originated through astrology. We need to understand that YHWH's Scriptural calendar was replaced with the Roman calendar, which had 12 months and 385 days. The months were given pagan names/titles and this calendar made it very each for a person to keep track of his birthday, because he could look to the stars and horoscopes, instead, of YHWH. Whereas, YHWH's Scriptural calendar would mean a person's birthday would be very hard to fund each year. Maybe this fact, in and of itself, is revealing to us that YHWH doesn't what us to observe birthdays!

Modern birthday celebrations find their roots in Germany, where gifts were given and candles were lit. The lit candle have honor to the Greek moon goddess, Artemis. Wishing a person "Happy Birthday" and using noisemakers were to scare off evil spirit.} [Diane L. Otto - Guess What I Discovered On The Way To Church? - Xulon Press, 2007 - Pg. 402]

{The tradition of birthday parties began centuries ago in Europe as a deterrent to evil spirits, believed to be attracted to people on their birthdays. To protect the person having the birthday, friends and family would drop by, bringing good thoughts and wishes. Giving gifts was thought to be an even more effective strategy to ward off evil spirits.} [Deborah Kesten & Dean Ornish - The Healing Secrets of Food: A Practical Guide for Nourishing Body, Mind, and Soul - New World Library, 2001 - Pg. 46]

{An ancient Greek custom of honoring Artemis' birthday with a Full Moon cake is still seen today in our birthday cakes. The Greeks even put lighted candles on the Moon cake.} [Deanna J. Conway - Moon Magick: Myth & Magick, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells - Llewellyn Worldwide, 1995 - Pg. 74]

{Many people believe the idea of a birthday cake came from ancient Greece. Ancient Greeks made cakes as offerings to the goddess of the moon. These cakes were round like a full moon. Later, candles were added to make the cakes glow like a full moon.} [Gina DeAngelis - Greece - Compass Point Books, 2003 - Pg. 19]

{The popular custom of lighting candles on a birthday cake, making a wish, and then blowing out the candles is one that is carried out in many parts of the world. Most people are unaware, however, that this custom is actually remnants of an age-old Pagan ritual. In ancient Greece, Artemis (virgin goddess of the hint, lunar deity, and Greek equivalent to the Roman goddess Diana) was honored each year on the 24th day of May, the date of her birth, according to Greek mythology. In special temples consecrated to her worship, moon-shaped cakes adorned with burning cakes would be places upon the altar as offerings.

After the advent of the Christian faith in Greece, the worship of the ancient gods was banned by law and their temples destroyed or converted to the uses of the New Religion. However, many of the old ways, including the lighting of the candles on birthday cakes, managed to survive into the present day.} [Gerina Dunwich - Exploring Spellcraft: How to Create and Cast Effective Spells - Career Press, 2001 - Pg. 97-98]

{Did you know that when you light birthday candles on someone's birthday cake you are performing an ancient pagan ritual? The person having the birthday is supposed to make a wish and blow out their candles, after which they open their gifts. This custom dates back to Greek pagan tradition wherein Artemis, The Moon Goddess was being honored. Crescent moon-shaped cakes were offered to the Goddess, decorated with candles. A worshipper who could blow out all the candles with a single breath would receive Goddess's favor. That's some birthday gift!

Candles symbolize light in the darkness of life and holy illumination of spirit of truth. A candle also inherently contains the elements of Earth, Water, and Air. Fire and Spirit are added when you visualize and light the wick.

Visualization is the power of will to give candle specific energies in accordance with your desires. Some say that the auta or halo that comes from a burning candle is the divinity itself, achieved by caster.} [Gerina Dunwich - Exploring Spellcraft: How to Create and Cast Effective Spells - Career Press, 2001 - Pg. 97-98]

{Some ancient Greeks and Romans believed that everyone had a guardian spirit and that entity was honoured on a person's birthday. Gifts were often brought to royalty on their birthdays.} [Shanddaramon - Paganism: A Religion For The 21st Century - Ken Langer, 2009 - Pg. 65]

{The tradition of birthday parties started in Europe a long time ago. It was feared that evil spirits were particularly attracted to people on their birthdays. To protect them from harm, friends and family would to come be with the birthday person and bring good thoughts and wishes. Giving gifts brought even more good cheer to ward off the evil spirits. This is how birthday parties began.

At first it was only kings who were recognized as important enough to have a birthday celebration (maybe this is how the tradition of birthday crowns began?). A formal ball was planned and announcements were sent through the land. As time went by, children became included in birthday celebrations. The first children's birthday parties occurred in Germany and were called Kinderfeste.}

Some Muslim scholars state that celebrating birthday is halal, as long as if there is no imitation of the disbelievers or if the origin of birthdays are not part of somebody else's faith. But majority of scholars have said that it is not allowed at all. The best thing to do is to keep away from it because:

{The Prophet said: Both legal and illegal things are obvious, and in between them are (suspicious) doubtful matters. So who-ever forsakes those doubtful things lest he may commit a sin, will definitely avoid what is clearly illegal; and who-ever indulges in these (suspicious) doubtful things bravely, is likely to commit what is clearly illegal. Sins are Allah's Hima (i.e. private pasture) and whoever pastures (his sheep) near it, is likely to get in it at any moment.} [Sahih Al Bukhari: Volume-3: Book-34: Book of Sales and Trade: Hadith-267]

{Leave that about which you are in doubt for that about which you are in no doubt.} [Al-Tirmidhi & An Nasai]
ayesha.ansari

Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Well any thing that come under wastage of money and show off is forbidden in Islam. well we are Muslim ALHAMDULILLAH and stop celebrating birthdays but when some one have birthday then we cook good food and make cake at home and talk for some time. and enjoy with each other. their is no one invited just family members. i think a simple way of celebrating some thing is never been stopped in Islam.
safah

Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walikumasalam.

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Principally, birthdays are not something that should be celebrated or to be happy about. When it is someone's birthday, one year of his/her life has decreased, and not increased. As such, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life?

Before understanding the legal ruling with regards to birthday celebrations, it is worth remembering here that imitation of the unbelievers (Kuffar) is something that Islam strictly disapproves of.

In a Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud (Allah have Mercy on him) and others, The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

�Whosoever imitates a nation is amongst them�. (Sunan Abu Dawud,)

It should be remembered here that not everything what the non-Muslims wear and do, is Haram and unlawful. Imitation, which is prohibited, is effected in one of the following two ways:

a) One does something with the intention of imitating the Kuffar, meaning one does so because one wants to be like a particular non-believer or non-believers.

b) Doing something that is unique and exclusive to the non-believers or it is part of their faith. This will also be considered imitation, thus Haram (unlawful). (See the Fatwa of Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani).

In light of the above, there are few situations with regards to the Shariah (legal) ruling on celebrating birthdays:

1)If it is celebrated by imitating the Kuffar in that all or some of the customs that are unique with the Kuffar are adopted, or acts that are unlawful in Shariah are committed, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. The lighting of candles on a cake that number the years of one�s life and then blowing on them, playing of music, singing, extravagant and lavish spending, showing off, etc are all unlawful and forbidden practices. Thus, if birthdays are celebrated by adopting the above-mentioned customs, it will not be permissible.

2)If the above-mentioned evils are avoided, then there are two possibilities:

a) If one celebrates birthdays with the intention of imitating the Kuffar meaning one does so because one wants to be like the Kuffar, then, as stated previously, it will be considered imitating the Kuffar, thus unlawful.

b) If there is no intention of imitating the Kuffar (and also the above mentioned evils are avoided) then the ruling on celebrating birthdays will depend on whether it originated from the religious customs of the non-Muslims and it is part of their faith. (It can not be considered to be unique with the Kuffar, for celebrating birthdays has become a widespread phenomenon that is carried out in many different parts of the world). I am personally unaware of whether celebrating birthdays has a connection with the Christian faith or other wise, thus I am unable to give a decisive ruling.

However, I have mentioned the criterion of which the ruling will be based. If the origins of birthday celebrations are connected to a particular faith, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. If, however, it has no connections with the faith of the non-Muslims, then (and Allah knows best) it seems that it would be permissible to celebrate it (provided the evils mentioned above are avoided).

3)If one thanks Allah and shows gratitude for being blessed with one more year of his life, thus expresses happiness and joy, then there is nothing wrong with that. (See: al-Fatawa al-Rahimiyya (urdu), 6/320).

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK
Muhammad Sayeed

Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: The Origin of Birthdays.... Reply with quote

Asalamalykum Brother Muhammad, i have already posted above the origin of Birthdays...its not known to Most of the people...
But it seems, from the evidence i posted above that, birthdays isnt a christian origin but rather a pagan origin...
Wa Allahu alam.
umukhadijah

Muslim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in my own expirence ave got loads of photos and videos of my birthday since i was 1 until i was 8 and as my parents dint know is haram but they took me madrasa and when they wanted to do my 8th birthday i told her not to as in madrasa the teacher said is haram and we should help the poor instead and i remember my mum eyes were full of tears as she dint go to madrasa so she dint knw alot about islam apart from praying and fasting n wearing hijab...and being a good wife lolz.. nway i can tell thru my pics and vids that it was a waste of money...and we could have help many serving family's..
may Allah give us knowledge and increase our imaan.
Kamaljit Ballrash

Non-muslim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear...

Of all the things I thought could possibly be Haram, I never thought it would be one's own birthday.

I like my birthday. It's good cause for celebration. It's good to be alive and I like presents... lots of presents... and CAKE!!!
(Nom, nom nom!)
Kamaljit Ballrash

Non-muslim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Origin of Birthdays.... Reply with quote

Muhammad Sayeed wrote:
Asalamalykum Brother Muhammad, i have already posted above the origin of Birthdays...its not known to Most of the people...
But it seems, from the evidence i posted above that, birthdays isnt a christian origin but rather a pagan origin...
Wa Allahu alam.

Nearly everything that is christian has pagan origins in Europe. You could spend your life trying to find the line which divides them. And it's just as well, as paganism carries a lot of good virtues and is also fun. Some of my good friends are/ were pagans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Islamic Forum Index -> General Talk All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1