Home Islam WebCast Forum Articles MultiMedia eCards

Islamic Library Quran Hadith Bible

Be notified of: Free Islamic GIFTS ! Islamic Competitions ! Special Islamic Promotions ! New Videos/Books/Articles/Etc And Much Much More !

Forum Conduct GuidelinesConduct Guidelines   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Profiles Of Islamic Mentors

Free gift for all new members. Register/log in to receive your free gift

Balsamic Vinegar - halal or haram --- ASAP ANS required

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fazzioo

Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Balsamic Vinegar - halal or haram --- ASAP ANS required Reply with quote

A'Salaamulakum,

Can someone tell me if Balsamic Vinegar is haram or halal??

thanks
myriam

Muslim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa alaykum Salaam Brother

as of my knowledge balsamic vinegar contains wine which makes it haram. I last checked a few years back and got it confirmed from a friend a few weeks ago who checked the ingredients...

did you check the ingredients?

massalaam
The Wise Man

Muslim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Balsamic Vinegar - halal or haram --- ASAP ANS required Reply with quote

fazzioo wrote:
A'Salaamulakum,

thanks

Balsamic vinegar does NOT contain alcohol. It is not haram! I should know- I trade in the stuff!
fazzioo

Muslim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Balsamic Vinegar - halal or haram --- ASAP ANS required Reply with quote

The Wise Man wrote:
fazzioo wrote:
A'Salaamulakum,

thanks

Balsamic vinegar does NOT contain alcohol. It is not haram! I should know- I trade in the stuff!

this is the problem im having some people say it is some people say it isnt...
myriam

Muslim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I know I get that a lot, best thing to do is see which one you want call the company who's number is on the item and have them given proof in written form.. if not written then email if possible..

you can't really rely on people anyway if you eat haram it does harm to you no matter who may has said it is not.. know what I mean?

may Allah reward your effort
and Allah knows best

your sis in Islam
Kamaljit Ballrash

Non-muslim

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think you're making rather a fuss about trace alcohols? The body manufactures it naturally anyway. Surely, the point about all this is not the alcohol itself, but the drinking to intoxication and the behaviour that follows it? How is a little bit of vinegar on your chips going to cause you to be distracted from worshipping Allah?
bootlui

Muslim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the alcohol in the vinegar is the type that in a larger amount can make you drunk then the vinegar is haram. I understand what you are saying but we as muslims believe that something is haram whether in a small of large amount. Its more the principle that you draw the line clearly that no aclohol whatsoever is allowed the minute you say well its only a trace amount you will then have people who say well i can drink a little bit of wine without getting drunk to people saying well if i go out on a night out and drink a bit my friends will make sure i don't do anything stupid to a whats wrong with drinking attitude
Kamaljit Ballrash

Non-muslim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootlui wrote:
If the alcohol in the vinegar is the type that in a larger amount can make you drunk then the vinegar is haram. I understand what you are saying but we as muslims believe that something is haram whether in a small of large amount. Its more the principle that you draw the line clearly that no aclohol whatsoever is allowed the minute you say well its only a trace amount you will then have people who say well i can drink a little bit of wine without getting drunk to people saying well if i go out on a night out and drink a bit my friends will make sure i don't do anything stupid to a whats wrong with drinking attitude

Yes, but we were talking about balsamic vinegar. You could not possibly drink anywhere near enough of this to make you drunk because it would make you very sick, long before you became affected by the alcohol. How do you make the association between drinking a little wine and a sprinkling of vinegar in cooking? The answer is, you can't, unless you believe that a certain chemical has mystical properties which cannot be proven, thus ridiculous to even contemplate.

Ethanol is the only alcohol which is safe to drink, so it's useless to talk about 'types'. It definitely comes down to the amount. Alcohol is present in so many things you consume, from fruit juice to sugars, a loaf of bread and as solvents for medicines, that the line you are trying to draw is totally unrealistic.

And this line is pointless as well, because it's the amount that governs whether or not you are affected by it. In most cases, the amount is so small that it is metabolised by your digestive system within seconds. If you cook with balsamic vinegar, the alcohol has evaporated long before the meal has even finished cooking!

It would be totally inaccurate and therefore very foolish to associate trace alcohols in cooking condiments with even a small glass of wine because it's actually impossible to get drunk from vinegar, for the reasons I have just described.

And, as I said, your body contains traces of alcohol anyway. It occurs naturally in the human body as a by-product of your own metabolism. Why would Allah allow this, but not allow you to use a touch of balsamic vinegar in your cooking? It doesn't make any sense.
ayesha.ansari

Muslim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: found this some where...... Reply with quote

To Understand Vinegar Halal or Haram

Vinegar has been known for centuries. It is simply a dilute solution of water and acetic acid that contains coloring and flavoring agents in very small quantities from source of raw material. A typical distilled vinegar contains 95% of water and rest is acetic acid , minor constituents.

It is made by two successive microbial processes,

first being an alcoholic fermentation effected by yeasts and the
second an oxidation of alcohol by Acetobacter, a genus of aerobic bacteria.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulation states that the unmodified name vinegar apply only to the product derived from apples and that this product contain not less than 4 g of acetic acid in 100 ml of vinegar.

Vinegar also contains small quantities of ash, sugars, phosphoric acid, alcohol, and glycerol.

Vinegar is made by two process;

The packed generator; and
Submerged fermentation system.

Air is used in both process.

Fermentation :

The fermentation of sugar into alcohol (ethanol) and which comprises the first step in manufacturing of vinegar using the yeast Saccharomyces sp, which proceeds as follow:

C6H12O6 -------> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2 (sugar source) (Ethyl Alcohol) (Carbon Dioxide)

The second fermentation step requires the microorganism acetobacter (Bacterium aceti) and oxygen as indicated below:

2C2H5OH + 2O2 ---------> 2CH3COOH + 2H2O (Ethyl Alcohol) (Oxygen) (Acetic Acid) (Water)

FYI
Malt vinegar is used extensively in Britain, and wine vinegar in continental Europe.
Distilled white vinegar and cider vinegar is preferred in USA and Canada.

Types of Vinegar:

There are six type vinegar is used throughout the world.

Distilled White or Grain or Spirit Vinegar: It is produced from the natural fermentation of dilute alcohol to vinegar. The vinegar is filtered and contains Natural mellow aroma.
Apple Cider Vinegar: It is produced from unprocessed apple juice and vinegar retains its natural amber color and fruity flavor.
Wine Vinegar: Wine vinegar is produced from Burgandy wine and other wines.It retains a ruby color and wine like flavor. It is used in Oil-Vinegar Dressing and gourmet cooking and condiments.
Corn (Maize) Sugar Vinegar: This type of vinegar is produced from corn sugar. Sugar is first converted to alcohol then alcohol is converted to acetic acid and water. It is also a amber color vinegar.
Malt Vinegar: Malt vinegar is produced from the fermentation of malt to alcohol and then it is converted to vinegar.
Specialty Vinegar such as Balsamic Vinegar: Balsamic vinegar is produced in Modena Italy from white and sugary Trebbiano grapes with special labor intensive method to special flavor and aroma There is possibility of left over wine in this vinegar.

Halal Status of vinegar:
There is a different of opinion among Hanafi and Shafi fiqa schools regarding vinegar.
There is also different of opinion among Islamic Scholars regarding wine vinegar. Since there is possibility of wine being not 100% converted to acetic acid and water. There is left over wine in the wine vinegar, we consider wine vinegar not a Halal vinegar. We recommend distilled white vinegar because it is made from dilute alcohol. Please consult your sheik or Imam on this topic.
Hope it will help you
Kamaljit Ballrash

Non-muslim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we can see clearly, from the post above, alcohol can be measured and quantified as 'harmful' or not, through scientific means.

The rest is just an opinion. Hallal is an opinion. Nothing more.
mmolly19

Muslim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is alcahol in it. So its haram.
Anish

Muslim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Haram!! no doubt about that Reply with quote

I saw some interesting details about this topic , Please check http://alim.org/library/hadith/fiq/FQS/1/12

According to most scholars, alcohol is impure. Says Allah in the Qur'an, "Alcohol, games of chance, idols and divining arrows are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork." Some scholars say that it is pure, for they take the meaning of rajis in its abstract sense as describing alcohol and whatever is related to it. This is not labeled as impure in a definite, sensory way. Says Allah, "Stay away from the impurities of idols." Idols are impure in the abstract sense, and they are considered impure if one touches them. The explanation of the preceding verse is that they are a tool of Satan, for they cause enmity and hatred and keep people away from the remembrance of Allah and pra.yer. In Subul as-Salaam it says, "Their origin is pure and their being prohibited does not mean that the object itself is impure. For example, hashish is prohibited but it is pure. But, something impure is not necessarily prohibited. Every impure thing is prohibited, but not vice-versa. That is because of the ruling that something impure cannot be touched under any circumstances. If a ruling says that something is impure, it is also prohibited. This differs from a ruling that something is prohibited. For example, it is forbidden to wear silk and gold, but they are absolutely pure by consensus." If one understands that, then the prohibition of alcohol does not necessarily entail its also being considered impure: it needs some other evidence to prove that it is impure. If not, then we are left with the original position that it is pure. If one claims other than that, he must substantiate it.
abbasahmed

Muslim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Vinegar as per Hadith e Rasool Reply with quote

As Salam u Alaikum,

Why do we have to be fussy about what kind of vinegar we'll consume? Rasool Allah didn't mention a specific type of vinegar in these Hadith.

Sahih Muslim Volume 23, chapter 28

I would have provided a URL but the BB rules don't let me do it as I just joined in.
Khurram

Muslim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinegar as per Hadith e Rasool Reply with quote

abbasahmed wrote:
As Salam u Alaikum,

Why do we have to be fussy about what kind of vinegar we'll consume? Rasool Allah didn't mention a specific type of vinegar in these Hadith.

Sahih Muslim Volume 23, chapter 28

I would have provided a URL but the BB rules don't let me do it as I just joined in.

Waleikum salam

you can insert hadiths from Sahih Muslim by using the "Insert Hadith" button when entering your text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Islamic Forum Index -> General Talk All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1